Scanning barcodes produced by reliable Zebra thermal printers and labels enables you to automatically verify and recordmedication dispensing as well as check the NDC number against the prescription order to validate that the correct medication and dosage were dispensed.
As a hospital pharmacist, you know the importance of
preventing errors in medication dispensing and
administration to ensure patient safety. Zebra® thermal
barcode printers and labels offer the most effective
way for you to meet patient safety goals for unit-dose
labeling established by The Joint Commission
(formerly JCAHO) and the American Society of Health-
System Pharmacists (ASHP).
Scanning barcode labels produced by reliable Zebra
thermal printers enables you to automatically verify
and record medication dispensing as well as check
the NDC number against the prescription order to
validate that the correct medication and dosage were
dispensed. The same Zebra barcodes used for
dispensing also enable bedside medication
administration applications, which are at the heart of
barcode patient safety programs.
In fact, a recent Institute of Medicine report entitled
“Preventing Medication Errors” cites that medication
errors harm 1.5 million people and kill several
thousand each year in the United States, costing the
nation at least $3.5 billion annually. Because of such
wide-spread drug errors, hospitals have made the
implementation of automated bedside administration
systems a top priority. And, at many of these
hospitals, barcodes produced with Zebra printers and
media are an integral part of the bedside solutions. By
scanning Zebra barcodes on the unit-dose label,
patient wristband, and employee ID badge, nurses
and aids automatically and accurately perform a Five
Rights check before administering medications.
MEET ALL YOUR PHARMACY LABELING NEEDS
The optimal approach for maximizing patient safety is
to add barcoded variable data to every drug in your
pharmacy. Regardless of how many pharmaceuticals
you receive from suppliers that are marked with
barcodes at the unit-of-use level, your pharmacy will
need to repackage or mix certain medications as unit
doses bearing patient-specific or drug-specific labels.
Zebra can meet all your on-demand barcode labeling
needs, whether it’s repackaged bulk products;
overwrap bags; irregularly shaped items such as
syringes, vials and ampules; patient-specific
compounds; IV bags; or partial or pediatric doses. Zebra thermal printers and labels produce barcodes used for dispensing—and those same barcodes can also enable bedside medication administration applications. The optimal approach for maximizing patient safety is to add barcoded variable
WITH ZEBRA’S THERMAL PRINTING SOLUTIONS, YOUR PHARMACY WILL BENEFIT FROM:
•A wide range of label sizes and materials, including labels suitable for curved or irregular surfaces such as IV bags or vials. Optimized for use with Zebra printers and resistant to scratches, moisture, alcohol, cold storage, and other elements, they perform reliably in pharmacy and patient care settings—with barcodes that remain sharp and scannable for the life of the label.
• Rugged and reliable thermal printers that are engineered to support the label materials and adhesives used for unit-dose and other pharmacy labeling applications.
• Easy integration with your pharmacy information and other HIT systems. Equally important, you won’t need to replace Zebra printers as you adopt and implement new HIT systems.
• The ability to efficiently process and print variable data on barcoded labels, including lot codes and expiration dates, with little or no slowdown in performance.
• The ability to easily print text and graphics, effectively supporting your legacy pharmacy labeling processes if you’re gradually adopting barcoding.
• Printers that support all barcode symbologies commonly used for unit-dose labeling. Many Zebra printers excel at producing high-quality small symbologies, such as 2-D and GS1 DataBarTM (RSS), that are suitable for vials,
syringes, and ampules. Additionally, they can produce multiple symbologies and graphics with no upgrades or modifications required.
ZEBRA SOLUTIONS FOR PHARMACY LABELING AND PRINTING